Here are pictures of the work that was involved in reconfiguring the side garden. I use landscape cloth under pine bark nuggets in the walk areas and wheat straw for mulch in the beds, and I added landscape timbers this year. In previous years I had made bed frames out of 1″ x 3″ untreated lumber (although the first beds had 4″ x 4″ pressure treated lumber – which I learned was not a good idea because of the toxins used in treating the lumber). The untreated lumber had a tendency to warp pretty badly, and only lasted a year or two before the termites would do it some serious damage. I didn’t construct frames out of the landscape timbers. I just laid them out the way I wanted them, and they’re doing a pretty good job of staying put on their own.