As I mentioned in a previous entry, there have been many changes to the gardens in the last year. The garden that is in the side yard next to the house has an all new bed configuration. This is how it looked in 2010
The configuration was a series of 4’x 8′ beds in two rows, one right next to the house, and the other next to our neighbor’s fence, with a series of cucumber and squash hills down the middle between the two rows of beds.
The decision to change the bed configuration was a practical one, and not one that I consulted with nature about. My husband was concerned that the beds that were next to the house were causing unacceptably high levels of humidity in the crawlspace under the house and that was causing the insulation to droop. He also felt that it would be easier to irrigate if there were two long rows instead of a series of beds.
This is how the beds are arranged now
The current arrangement is two long beds, each bed containing two rows of crops, with sunflowers arranged wherever it was possible to put them. The sunflowers were added for some shade for the plants, and also to attract the Leaf Footed Bugs away from the tomatoes and peppers.
With the old configuration, a main drip irrigation line ran down the sides of the beds with the drip tape coming off that, in a spiral shape within the beds. This was not the most practical configuration for the drip lines. Now, there is one main line running about half way down the middle of the path between the two beds (this was because I didn’t have any drip lines long enough to go all the way down each bed since I was re-using the lines from the 2010 configuration), with a line coming off that on each side, and the drip lines coming off those lines. This is how it looked before I put it under the mulch
This is the lines coming off the main line to either side, and the drip lines coming off those
I expected to find this new configuration less aesthetically pleasing than the old configuration. I was very surprised to discover that I like this year’s configuration even better. I find it to be quite pleasing, visually, and the energy is much more serene and calm. There was a certain amount of chaos inherent with the old configuration. The tomato plants tended to hang over the walkways between the beds, and the squash and cucumber plants tended to take over the middle of the garden, making it difficult to walk. And I expect that the energy of the garden reflected this physical reality.
The new configuration isn’t all straight lines, however. I have arranged sheep fencing in a wavy pattern to hold up the tomatoes, and this is creating all kinds of fun, interesting, and aesthetically and visually pleasing lines and patterns
I put little bridges made out of left-over landscaping timbers across the middle of each long bed, which was needed because I don’t want to have to walk all the way around the beds to get where I want to go, but I think that they add something important to both the visual aesthetics as well as the energy flow. The Genesa Crystal is opposite these little bridges and I think the energy of the crystal flows to the rest of the garden through the opening that they create in the beds. The placement of the Genesa Crystal in relation to the rest of the garden can be seen in the first picture of the current configuration. It’s between the lawn chairs on the right hand side.
Here’s the garden in it’s more mature state
We added a new garden bed in the power line cut behind our house. It’s not on our land, so I have to address whatever energy issues arise from this. And there is a new herb garden in front of the house. I will go into detail about these parts of the garden in subsequent entries.